- Consignor Contract Form
- Consignor Inventory Form (NB: This form must be filled out ahead of your appointment.)
Dear Potential Consignor,
Thank you for considering Elinor Coleman’s Vintage Mirage as the store to consign your clothing, jewelry, or accessories. We hope that you will feel good about clearing out your wardrobe and making some money at the same time!
The business of consigning has been around for many years. Now we think about this concept as the ultimate reuse and recycle endeavor. It feels good to know that your items have found a new home. It may be possible that upon visiting Elinor Coleman’s Vintage Mirage you may find a new item that you will want to buy to enhance your wardrobe.
In addition to the current consignment department of contemporary designer items of clothing, jewelry, and accessories, Vintage Mirage also has a mint condition vintage designer department for sale including clothing, jewelry, and accessories that begin with the Victorian era (1840-1914) through the Camelot era of the 1960’s.
So we extend an invitation to consign your current or past stylish clothing, accessories, and jewelry with us.
The professionally trained staff at Vintage Mirage is here to assist you with your questions and concerns.
In addition, we offer an In-Home Wardrobe and Estate Liquidation Consultation Service. Please call us or visit our Special Services page to learn more about this unique service, which is billed either at an hourly rate or by project phase.
For your convenience, please read through our guidelines, sample contract, inventory form, and the roster of desirable designers, which are located at the top of this page. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us.
We look forward to working with you.
– Elinor Coleman
Vintage Mirage Consignment Procedures to Help You Get Ready
These are some general directions, procedures, and formalities to clarify how we can work together:
- Before coming to the shop, make an appointment with us Tuesday – Friday.
- Print out the inventory sheet at home and list in advance those items you will be bringing to us, so that you know specifically what you are bringing to consign.
- At the store, you must read and sign the consignment contract before you leave items with us.
- We generally recommend twenty items per consigner. The minimum number of items for consigning with us is ten.
- Once items are accepted, as the consignor, you will receive a unique customer
code. That includes all of your items and permits Vintage Mirage to keep your information easy to access for your convenience and clarity.
- You may request a log of status for your items by email.
- Elinor Coleman’s Vintage Mirage professionally trained staff inspects all items before accepting a consignment.
- It is very important that during your inventory at home, you gather and list these items and check to make certain that every item is in perfect condition. Before you inventory your items for consignment, you may call us to ask for assistance.
- All items must be CLEANED OR DRY CLEANED and in excellent or mint condition and of a designer level. The items must be in perfect condition, which means absolutely clean. There CANNOT be spots, stains, tears, rips, cigarette smells, animal hairs, and mothball smells. In addition, zippers must be in working order, all buttons must be attached, and belts or original ties must be included.
- Please go through your button/repair box to locate the additional buttons or ornaments for these garments. It is highly recommended that you place additional buttons, sequins, or beads in a small closeable baggie and attach them to the garment with a pin.
- All items must be on hangers in dry cleaning plastic with the tags on, assuring us that the items have been cleaned recently before bringing the items to the store.
- Pieces of jewelry must be brought in small boxes, jewelry boxes, or baggies divided by type, such as necklaces, earrings, bracelets, rings, or broaches. Jewelry boxes are the best to avoid stone or metals from being scratched. Upon request, some jewelry boxes can be returned.
We accept women’s clothing from the current season to vintage eras.
This also includes:
- Scarves, hankies
- Designer jewelry
- Lingerie, negligee
From the provided list we also accept couture and historic items from wardrobe downsizing or home liquidation, since Elinor Coleman’s Vintage Mirage has a vintage department.
Upon acceptance, items are priced accordingly:
- All beginning prices are below market value, which is the price you paid for the item originally.
- Then as the calendar advances, all items will be subjected to periodic markdowns.
- These reductions are left up to the store’s discretion.
- The store and the consignor are in a 50/50% relationship.
- Jewelry continues on display on sales floor until sold.
- At the end of the season, sometimes for 2 months up to a maximum of 6 months, the items will be donated if they have not sold.
- Wedding dresses, veils, belts, and undergarments are the exception and are kept on the sales floor until sold.
Our staff is professionally trained and will inspect all of the items before we agree to consign them. In some instances we will reject items that we believe will not sell in our store or cannot be accommodated in the rack space.
Also, due to to limited space, we are not accepting blue jeans or swimsuits.
If an item is not accepted for consignment, it will be donated to a non-profit organization. We will send you a final inventory roster and a donation letter from the tax exempt non-profit organization by mail.
Items are not returned to the consignor.
Checks will be sent to the consigner with a description of the item sold, including the original price and the final selling price. The checks will be created after the monthly Visa/MasterCard/American Express statements have been verified. This process takes an additional month after the item has sold. Checks are made out if the total consignor fee amount is $25 or more.
There is a service fee of $3 for each consignor check made out.
There is up to $3 per item fee, even if the item has not sold, billed to the consignor. This $3 fee covers cleaning, repair, or other staff time and efforts while at Vintage Mirage.
Vintage Mirage does not return items to the consigner if not sold. All of the items are donated to a non profit for donation tax letters sent to the consignor with the value figured on the letter.
If there is an emergency need for items on consignment to be returned to the consigner, there is a $10 fee charged and payable by the consignor for the time spent by the Vintage Mirage in gathering the items.
In House Assistance
Since our store will be open, we must work with customers who are purchasing merchandize first.
We will make every attempt to go over the inventory sheet with you, but occasionally we will inspect your items after business hours and call you with the results.
For all rejected items, you will receive a donation letter for those items that will be donated to a non-profit tax exempt organization.
For all accepted items, you will receive an inventory listing in your account of all items taken on consignment.
FULL ROSTER OF ACCEPTED DESIGNERS
COMME DES GARCONS
DOLCE & GABBANA
DIANE VON FURSTENBERG
DOONEY & BOURKE
HOUSE OF WORTH
HOUSE OF PATOU
JEAN PAUL GAULTIER
OSCAR DE LA RENTA
PAUL & JOE PETRA
ROBERTA DI CAMERINO
YVES SAINT LAURENT
RARE VINTAGE & OTHER HIGH END DESIGNER & DEPARTMENT STORE PIECES
AU BON MARCHÉ
We are NOT currently interested in the following brands:
- Banana Republic
- Liz Claiborne
- Forever 21
- Ellen Tracy
- Nine West
- Black & White
- Tommy Hilfiger
- L.L. Bean
- Other catalog clothes brands.